There are countless ways to make money online and one of the more popular methods is affiliate marketing. If you have been considering this type of online enterprise you may have asked yourself, “What is affiliate marketing online about”? In this post I’ll explain the basics briefly as well as link to some other relevant posts I’ve written on the subject.
Who Is Suited To Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is such a basic business model and it’s cheap to do. That’s one of the reasons it’s so popular with online entrepreneurs. People of any age, from any background and located just about anywhere in the world can become an affiliate marketer. You don’t need to be a journalist or a tech geek. There are a few select skills to learn, but with some training all people can learn these.
If you want to make money online and want to do it on a shoestring budget, then affiliate marketing is a great choice.
Affiliate Marketing Explained
Essentially as an affiliate marketer you don’t stock or produce your own products. You don’t take orders, pack orders or ship anything out.
All you do primarily is promote the products of other companies for a commission. A sale is made through a lead you provided and you get credited with the sale. It’s that simple.
First you choose a niche (subject) you’re interested in or passionate about, create a website and utilise social media, seek out relevant affiliate offerings you can promote and start promoting. There is a little more to it than that, but that’s the bare bones of what you do as an affiliate.
Each affiliate company you join will issue you with unique affiliate links that you use for your promotions. That way when someone clicks through on your unique link and makes a purchase, the company knows where the lead came from and you get paid a commission. Commissions can range anywhere from a lowly 4% right through to 100%.
Check out the following posts for more details on how affiliate marketing works:
What is Your Main Goal As An Online Marketer?
Tip: It isn’t to sell people stuff.
Answer: It is to help people first and foremost.
Now the above two sentences may sound counterintuitive. After all, you’re interested in affiliate marketing to make money. Right?
Of course you are, and so am I.
The point is, unless you first help people solve a problem, you won’t make much money, if any at all.
People often go online searching for an answer to a question, a solution to a problem they are having, or seeking more information on a product they are considering purchasing. If you can help them out with answers and solutions to their issues, then you have a far greater chance of promoting a relevant product to them.
Ideally your product offering will also help them solve their problem, but you must first gain their trust by offering some quality content along with promotions.
These Character Traits Are Essential For Success
I will put these in list form. They make up a vital component to your potential success as an affiliate marketer, online entrepreneur.
- Persistence – You need to have some staying power and be in it for the long haul. That attitude of never giving up.
- Patience – Not everything happens overnight. Success online, just like with anything, takes time. Be patient and take things one step at a time.
- Positive Thinking – No amount of negative thinking will bring you success. You need to keep a positive mindset about what you’re doing, even when times are tough. Success first starts in the mind.
- Set Goals and Deadlines – Essential for making sure you have a direction to work towards and an urgency to get things done.
- Flexibility – The internet is changing all the time, so be prepared to learn and adopt new ways of doing things. Always keep your finger on the pulse of what’s going on and always be learning.
There is more that can be added to this list. To read a post I wrote about it, click the link below.
Tools You Need
To get started in affiliate marketing there are really only two tools you need:
- A computer
- An internet connection
One other thing you need that I consider to be essential is quality training. If you don’t get training your marketing efforts will be hit and miss. You won’t know the right way to go about things and everything will take so much longer.
If you want to make money from this business as quickly as possible, then get some training. In some cases it can be free to start, with paid upgrade options. Read the following post for a brief rundown on the training companies I consider the best options.
I rate Wealthy Affiliate #1, and if you want to know why, you can read my review by clicking the link below.
Latest posts by Darren Burton (see all)
- Is Lotto Profits a Scam or Not? Read This First! - August 27, 2019
- How to Boost Your Website’s Affiliate Sales - November 22, 2018
- Top Affiliate Marketing Guide for Making Money Online - September 12, 2018